About The Course & NABCEP Certification
- The learning materials include: webinars, slide sets, instructional videos, downloadable materials for offline study, exercises, and exam problem sets with immediate feedback and grading. The exam problem sets are similar to what you can expect on the NABCEP PV Installation Professional Certification Exam
- Immediately access the course upon registration.
- Work through the learning materials at your own pace.
- Enrollment duration is 12 months.
- Ability to watch videos and review content as many times as you want.
- Participate in Online LIVE instructor support (more details below).
- 78 videos of lectures
- 200 exam problems and problem solutions
- ImagineSolar’s guide for how to study the National Electrical Code for PV systems
- Plus, strategies for preparing and taking the NABCEP Certification exam.
- Online LIVE Topic Sessions!
This course combines the flexibility of an online course with the live instructor-led interaction of Online LIVE Topic Sessions. The online approach allows for anytime anywhere access and self-paced schedules. The special schedule (found below) of Online LIVE Topic Sessions gives participants time with instructors to ask questions, work problems, and go over course material.
Section 1: Verify System Design (30%)
- The National Electrical Code
- Solar Resource and Shading Considerations
- Inverter Specifications, Sizing, and Clipping
- Ungrounded PV and Non-Isolated Inverters
- Conductor Sizing for PV
- Design Exercises
- Expedited Permit Process for PV Systems
Section 2: Managing the Project (17%)
- PV Installations in Homeowner Associations
Section 3: Installing Electrical Components (22%)
- Grounding and Bonding
- PV Sub-panels and DC Circuits in Buildings
- Conduit and Raceways
Section 4: Installing Mechanical Components
- International Fire Code for PV Systems
Section 5: Completing System Installation (12%)
- Field Inspection Guidelines
Section 6: Conducting Maintenance and Troubleshooting Activities (11%)
Section 7: Utility and Large Commercial-Scale Systems
Problem Sets with Worked Solutions:
- NABCEP Case Study Examples
- Problem Set from the NABCEP Resource Guide
- Problem Set 1: Working Safely with PV Systems
- Problem Set 2: Conducting a Site Assessment
- Problem Set 3: Selecting a System Design
- Problem Set 4: Adapting the Mechanical Design
- Problem Set 5: Adapting the Electrical Design
- Problem Set 6: Installing Sub-systems and Components
- Problem Set 7: System Checkout and Inspection
- Problem Set 8: System Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- Practice Exam
Upon completion students will be able to:
- Receive a digital Certificate of Completion
- With additional Hands-On project experience, apply for and take the NABCEP PV Installation Professional Certification exam.
This course is appropriate for anyone who wants to gain expertise in designing PV systems. It is targeted to engineers, electricians, entrepreneurs, and all others who intend to become professionals in the solar industry.
Note: If you do not have experience with PV systems, recommended prerequisites would be either our Online: Foundations of Solar PV Design & Installation course or the Advanced PV Project Experience.
- 12 months access to ImagineSolar’s online training site containing lessons, video lectures, slideshows, quizzes, problem sets, and additional materials.
- We recommend the 3rd edition Photovoltaic Systems by James P. Dunlop to those participants who could benefit from a solar reference book.
- Click here for free viewing access to the National Electrical Code and other code books: http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/free-access
ImagineSolar has trained thousands of individuals who have gone on to be an integral part of the solar industry. Our course teaches best practices using the most current technologies and methods for the solar industry. Our course instruction is continuously updated with the latest developments as the solar industry evolves. Many of ImagineSolar’s consultants, instructors, and lecturers have obtained one or more NABCEP certifications. To view their credentials please click here.
The special Online LIVE Topic Sessions are an optional support resource, giving participants a place to interact with instructors, ask questions, work problems, and discuss course material.
Our Online LIVE Topic Sessions use GoToMeeting. GoToMeeting is a web-hosted service created and marketed by the Online Services division of Citrix Systems. It is an online meeting, desktop sharing, and video conferencing service that enables our instructors to conduct classes via the Internet in real time.
The first time that you join GoToMeeting, you will be prompted to run the Citrix Launcher. For mobile devices, you will download a free app from the relevant app store.
It is best to use a headset with your computer similar to what you may use for your cell phone.
Online LIVE Sessions
Online LIVE Sessions will be held on Mondays from 5pm to 6pm CST on the following dates using the application named GoToMeeting.
- Monday, January 29th, 2018: How to study the National Electrical Code in preparation for the NABCEP certification exam
- Monday, February 12th, 2018: Various problem-solving plus test-taking strategies
- Monday, February 26th, 2018: Various problem-solving plus test-taking strategies
- Monday, March 12th, 2018: Various problem-solving plus test-taking strategies
- Monday, March 26th, 2018: Various problem-solving plus test-taking strategies
- Monday, April 2nd, 2018: Various problem-solving plus test-taking strategies
- Monday, April 9th, 2018: Various problem-solving plus test-taking strategies
Our online courses use the Moodle learning platform. There are no download requirements to use Moodle. The following are the system requirements to access the ImagineSolar elearning campus and to interact with our online material.
High-speed broadband Internet access is recommended.
You access our online courses from a web browser on your PC/tablet/notepad. Windows and Apple devices are both supported.
Minimum Browser for using Moodle:
- Firefox 4
- Internet Explorer 8
- Safari 5
- Google Chrome 11
- Opera 9
The operating system is not important.
Browser Settings and Plug-ins:
Java Runtime Environment 1.4 or higher with the following settings:
- Cookies Enabled
- Pop-Up blocking Disabled
Moodle uses a Flash Player for viewing videos that is compatible with all PC-based and Android devices.
For Apple computers, install “Adobe Player for Mac” or its equivalent to view the video lectures.
For Apple iPads, install Photon Flash Player for iPad or the Puffin Web Browser or the equivalent.
The first time that you join GoToMeeting from a computer, you will be prompted to run the Citrix Launcher. For mobile devices, you will download a free app from the relevant app store.
Equipment Requirements for ImagineSolar Online LIVE Sessions:
- Internet connection (broadband is best)
- Microphone and speakers (built-in or USB headset)
- Computer or Mobile Device:
- Windows computer
- Mac computer
- iOS device (iPod, iPad, iPhone) with free GoToMeeting App from App Store
- Android device with free GoToMeeting App from Google Play Store
- Windows 8 & Windows RT mobile device with free GoToMeeting App from Windows Store
Most computers have built-in microphones and speakers, but you will get much better audio quality if you use a headset or handset. You can also make calls on your landline or mobile device.
$695.00Add to cart
Pathway to NABCEP Certification
“ImagineSolar provided not only a pathway to the NABCEP Certification Exam, but also in-depth installation experience on cutting-edge solar technology including AC-coupled bimodal systems, micro-inverters, dual-axis trackers, and cylindrical CIGS modules as well as traditional solar technology.”
At My Own Pace
“Was able to work at my own pace online.”
Just Like I was in a Classroom!
“The videos helped me understand, just like I was in a classroom!”
“Problem sets and solutions were very helpful.”
“Highly organized materials for learning!”
Instructors went over Problem Sets
“The instructors went over the problem set answers so you can understand why you missed a question.”
“The course material was organized into sections very well. It made it much easier to go back to specific sections and review details.”
Lots of Info
“Lots of info to help with quizzes, I like the online course it helps me do things at my own pace.”
My First Online Course
"As my first online learning course, I like the fact that you can jump around from subject to subject in non-sequential order and that you can review the same thing multiple times. The quizzes and explanations in written and verbal (video) form are extremely helpful.”